For all Academics
Step 1: Learn all you can about AnitaB.org and the Grace Hopper Celebration.
Step 2: Encourage your academic institution to become a GHC sponsor. Take a look at our levels and the corresponding benefits here. If you think sponsoring GHC is a good opportunity for your school, we suggest doing the following as your next steps:
- Prepare a presentation on the benefits of sponsoring GHC.
- Speak with your department chair, dean or other relevant staff members to discuss your budget.
- Purchase a sponsorship – follow our sponsorship step-by-step guide for this process.
Step 3: Decide how you want to determine which students attend. Do you want it to be open to all students, those just in your department, those at a certain stage in their education or some other criteria? Some universities in the past have limited to just freshmen CS females as a way to excite new students and encourage them to stay in the field. Others bring only senior students who are about to transition and can gain a lot from the networking opportunities at GHC. Discuss with those in your department.
Step 4: Begin fundraising. See our tips for academics on suggestions of how to cover the cost of GHC. Involve everyone from all levels, including your alumni association, your department chair or dean and your students.
Step 5: Encourage all of your students to apply for an existing scholarship program. Direct them to our Student Step-by-step Guide (LINK) for information on this process.
- If you are a faculty member, apply for a scholarship for yourself. See the next section for more details.
Step 6: Purchase registrations. Depending on your funding distribution, you may choose Individual Registration or Bulk Registration for your students and faculty who will attend.
- Individual Registration for students and faculty: An individual pays for registration upfront. If your funding policies require students to be reimbursed, you will need to use this type. These open in July.
- Bulk Registrations for students and faculty: You can buy as many registrations as you like in increments of one up to 100, without knowing the names of these registrants. If your school can pay upfront for students we highly recommend this option as it allows you to choose individuals at a later date.
- NOTE: Our Academic Sponsors will be able to access Bulk Registrations during their sponsor registration process, before they are released to the general public. Becoming a sponsor gives you a better chance at ensuring registration for your students in case tickets sell out.
Step 7: Register your attendees by date. We will need registration details for each person attending.
Step 8: Book your hotel and flights. You’ll want to arrive in time for the morning keynote on Wednesday and stay through Friday evening as most of our student and early career-focused programming occurs on Friday. Plus, you don’t want to miss the Friday Evening Celebration!
Step 9: Join the AnitaB.org Communities
Step 10: Attend GHC 2016.
For Scholar Applicants
Step 1: Make sure you understand the benefits of a scholarship.
Step 2: Collect all of the items that you will need for your application.
Step 3: Submit your application.
Step 4: Wait to hear from us. We expect to announce our decisions on June 1, 2016.