Tips for Applying as a GHC Scholar
- Have the files you need to upload ready before starting your application. Our system does time out after 10 minutes of inactivity to protect your personal information. It does not save automatically. If timed out, you will lose your information. Items you will need:
- CV/Resume (Students & Faculty)
- Unofficial transcript (Students)
- Write your essay outside of the system. Each applicant must provide an essay of 500 words or less. We recommend preparing outside the application system and copying your answer so you do not time out.
- Topic: Why you want to attend GHC and how you plan to share your experience at GHC with others if selected as a scholar.
- Students: You should know the name of the faculty member who will write your letter of recommendation. You must provide contact information (name and email) of this person while completing your application. Once you submit your application, the faculty member will receive an email with instructions on how to provide his/her letter recommendation (This may take up to 24 hours on business days, depending on the time of submission).
- Note: It is your responsibility to ensure your faculty member submits the recommendation by April 4, 2016 at 5 p.m. (PST). If you submit too close to the deadline, your recommender may not have time to submit the letter.
Using the System
- We accept only one application per person. The system will reject any attempt to submit additional applications.
- Organization means the university you currently attend or at which you teach. Provide the full name include location if applicable (i.e. University of Arizona, California State University, Monterey Bay, University of Texas, Austin). As you begin typing the name, if it is already in our system, you will see matches. Choose from those.
- Once you upload a successful document, you will not see a file name. You will see, however, an orange link, “Download file” next to the upload button.
- For all multi-select questions, hold control/command key and click on each of the selections relevant to you.
- For questions asking about dates, click on the calendar icon to pull up options. To change years, click on center section (ex, February 2016), then on the year (2016) for more options to appear.
- If you are on your computer, you can find answers on drop down questions faster by typing the first few letters of the group. Example, to find Malawi rapidly type “Mal” and it should bring you to that country, or close to it. You can also type the letter the answer starts with twice to be taken to the bottom of that letter group.
- If at any point you need help answering a question, you can click on the blue question mark next to the question for more information. Not all questions have the more information symbol.