GHC 23 Open Source Day Mentors
Many GHC 23 OSD attendees will be contributing to open-source projects for the first time. For many people this may be the beginning of their career in computing. To support them and ensure their experience is positive and fun, we are looking for mentors that will walk the attendees through finding a project and an issue, explain the contribution requirements of the project, work on a solution, and then go through the code review process to close the issue. As a mentor you’ll connect with individuals looking to create more diversity in the open source world and pay it forward by sharing your experiences.
To be successful as an GHC 23 OSD mentor, besides feeling comfortable with a project tech stack, you will need to feel comfortable using git, communicating in code reviews, and guiding individuals from all backgrounds and learning stages.
Based on your skillset and project needs, you’ll be assigned to a project prior to the event. To be a successful mentor for the assigned project, you may be required to become a contributor to the assigned project. More information on this will be available when project participation is finalized.
Accepted Applicants will receive complimentary virtual GHC 23 registration.
Who Should Apply
We aim to have GHC volunteers that represent the talent and rich diversity of our community. We welcome volunteers of all levels and backgrounds. Volunteers may be students, interns, early-, mid-, or senior-career, or entrepreneurs/founders.
We encourage members of historically excluded groups to participate.
Requirements & Responsibilities
- AnitaB.org volunteers must be at least 18 years old by September 22, 2023
- Accepted GHC 23 OSD Mentors must be available for
- A one-hour training prior to GHC 23 Open Source Day
- Open Source Day on Friday, September 22, 2023 from 11:30 a.m ET to 7:30 p.m. ET (8:30 a.m. PT to 4:30 p.m. PT).
Before GHC 23 Open Source Day
- Participate in an online training (~1hr)
- Review your assigned project’s documentation and setup and propose improvements.
- Get acquainted with the project’s representatives.
- Engage with participants in your assigned project GHC 23 OSD slack channel.
During GHC 23 Open Source Day
- Join your assigned GHC 23 OSD project video conference to engage with participants and help them through the day.
- Answer questions in your assigned project GHC 23 OSD Slack channel.
- Ensure that the Code of Conduct is maintained and the GHC 23 OSD environment is kept safe and fun.
- Engage with participants to help them find an issue to work on, find a solution to their selected issue, and submit a merge request
- May 1, 2023: Application Opens
- July 7, 2023: Application Closes
- Week of July 17, 2023: Application status sent.
- September (Exact day and time TBD): Virtual GHC 23 OSD Mentor Training for all in-person and virtual Hoppers
- September 22, 2023: Open Source Day!
Email us at email@example.com!