Emerging Leader Abie Award
The Emerging Leader Abie Award in Honor of Denice Denton recognizes a junior faculty member for high-quality research and significant positive impact on diversity. Recipients are honored by the technical women’s community at Grace Hopper Celebration.
The Emerging Leader Abie Award honors the life and career of Professor Denice Denton (1959 – 2006), an engineering faculty member and the first female dean of a school of engineering in a major U.S. research university. She worked throughout her life to give minorities a voice, make engineering attractive to women and minorities, strongly promote diversity in higher education, and help many break barriers and find their path in life.
- Recipients of the Emerging Leader Abie Award are honored by the technical women’s community at Grace Hopper Celebration (GHC) and invited to give a presentation on their work and accomplishments at the Celebration.
- Winners receive an all-expense paid trip to GHC.
- Cash prize of $15,000.
Past winners of this award include:
- 2020 Winner: Dr. Olga Russakovsky
- 2018 Winner: Dr. Debbie G. Senesky
- 2017 Winner: Dr. Aysegül Gündüz
- 2016 Winner: Dr. Colleen Lewis