Below are Frequently Asked Questions grouped by topic
- When is vGHC?
Virtual Grace Hopper Celebration (vGHC) 2021 will take place September 27 - October 1, 2021.
- When will registration open?
Registration will open July 14 for Academic (Students, Faculty and Staff) Registration, July 21 for Early Bird Registration and July 28 for General Registration, while supplies last.
- Do you have an age requirement for vGHC 21?
You must be 18 years of age to attend vGHC 21 at the time of registration.
- Can my child(ren) or guest attend any of the sessions or events?
Unfortunately, attendance is limited to registered attendees. Guests and anyone under the age of 18 are not allowed into any session, Expo, or activity.
- Will there be a mobile app for vGHC?
We are still determining if a mobile app will be available this year.
- Does my vGHC Registration include an AnitaB.org Premium Membership?
Yes, 1 year of Premium Membership is included with tickets purchased.
- When will I have access to my Premium Membership from my vGHC registration?
While your Premium Membership won't be activated until September, you can get your Membership started today by creating a free Member account here.
Once your Premium Membership has been activated you will receive your welcome email with login information. If you have further questions regarding the GHC Resume Database, please contact ResumeSupport@AnitaB.org.
- I’m already a Premium Member, but I also got it included with my vGHC 21 registration, what happens to my complimentary Membership?
Enjoy your AnitaB.org Membership for another 12 months! Existing Premium Members get 12 months of additional Membership beginning at the end of their current Premium Membership end date.
- Can I pre-register for sessions?
Additional information will be provided at a later date.
- When will the agenda be published?
Our official vGHC 21 agenda will be available closer to the date of the event, and attendees should expect to experience everything they normally would at Grace Hopper Celebration.
- I have a disability and need to make a request. Whom should I contact about this?
Please contact GHC@AnitaB.org for questions and concerns you may have regarding your vGHC 21 experience.
- Can I attend vGHC 21 if I don't identify as cis-female?
Yes! vGHC 21 is inclusive and welcoming of all gender identities.
- What is the new registration window?
vGHC 21 registration will re-open for TWO DAYS ONLY, starting Wednesday, September 15 at 7:00 a.m. PT through Thursday, September 16 at 11:59 p.m. PT.
- If I purchase registration during this new two-day window and later need to make changes or am unable to attend, will changes be accommodated?
No accommodations or substitutions will be offered thereafter once the new registration window closed on Sept. 16 at 11:59 p.m. PT.
- Can a Sponsor purchase more registrations?
Yes. Additional registrations for individuals can be purchased here. It will not be possible to purchase bulk registrations during this window. Note that additional registrations purchased via public registration will not alter your registration count in the Sponsor Portal.
- Do Sponsors need to sign their Program Statement before completing registration during this TWO DAY period?
Yes. Please sign your Program Statement immediately and take full advantage of the re-opened registration window.
Speakers & Presenters
- When can I submit a proposal for vGHC?
Each year AnitaB.org opens a call for participation (CFP) that is available to anyone interested in speaking. CFP is currently closed, but you can find out more about the Call for Participation process here.
- Can I get an extension to submit to the CFP?
No, we do not grant extensions. Please allow yourself adequate time to complete your submission.
- Do accepted speakers receive registration to attend vGHC 21?
Yes! All accepted speakers receive complimentary vGHC 21 registration to attend the entire event.
- How long can my submission be?
Proposals are limited to four pages: three pages for your content and one for your bio. Please note we do not have a minimum page requirement, but encourage you to use as much of the allowed space to effectively explain your proposal. Submissions of less than two pages are rarely accepted.
- Do I have to include references in my submission?
Yes, submissions that do not contain all sections of the required format may not be reviewed. Best practices for highly rated submissions include completing all sections of the required format and adequately utilizing the space provided.
- If I submitted a proposal last year and it was accepted, can I submit again?
Yes, you may submit again. Your proposal will go through the same process it did in previous year.
- Are men able to submit proposals for vGHC 21?
Of course! Although vGHC 21 is a celebration of women in computing, we do not restrict who can submit proposals as long as the submission format and requirements are followed. vGHC 21 is inclusive of all gender identities.
- Are there templates or examples of previously accepted submissions available?
Yes, we provide a template that we expect submitters to follow as well as provide examples from previous years. You can view these materials here.
- Does being accepted to a different conference restrict me from submitting to vGHC 21?
No, as long as you can commit to attending vGHC 21, if accepted, you are not restricted.
- Can someone submit to more than one track?
Technically, yes. However, there are some stipulations. If you are submitting to more than one track, you cannot submit using the same session format. For example, if you submit a presentation in the Artificial Intelligence track, you cannot submit a presentation in the Data Science track. You must select and follow the requirements of a different submission type.
- Can someone submit a proposal using more than one submission type?
Technically, yes. You can submit/participate in one proposal for each submission type. If you are listed on more than one proposal for a submission type, all submissions will automatically be disqualified for not following the guidelines.
- Can I submit a proposal for a Panel or Workshop and have AnitaB.org provide the speakers?
No, AnitaB.org does not provide speakers. If you submit a proposal that requires more than one speaker, you must have those speakers identified, and they must commit to speaking at vGHC. If you do not, your submission will be disqualified for not following the submission requirements.
- Can I submit a video with my proposal?
Yes! If you have a video to go along with your proposal, please submit it. The committee will view the video along with the other submission materials.
- If I am submitting a proposal for a presentation, can I put down two or more authors on the proposal, but commit to only one speaker?
No, if you list two authors on your proposal, they both must commit to speak. Only speakers that commit to speak will receive speaker benefits. Additionally, any speakers above the allowable number included on the submission paper will not be considered and will not be eligible any speaker benefits.
- Can the moderator of a Panel be from the same organization as one of the Panelists?
No, every person listed on the submission and proposal, including the moderator must be from different organizations. If you do not follow this requirement when submitting, your proposal will be disqualified. Presentations, Workshops, and Mentoring Circles speakers can be from the same organization.
- Will you make an exception to the minimum/maximum number of speakers?
No, we will not make an exception. Each submission type has different requirements that you must follow in order for your submission to be reviewed.
- Do you accept proposals for Keynotes or Featured Speakers in CFP?
No, our CFP process is only for our track breakout sessions.
- My organization has multiple people interested in submitting proposals to speak at vGHC 21. Are there limits to how many submissions can come from an organization?
No, there are no limits other than the described limits on the (i.e., submitters can only submit and/or participate in one submission per session format.)
- When will scholarship applications open?
AnitaB.org is no longer accepting scholarship applications for vGHC 21.
- Who can apply for a scholarship?
View our available scholarships and eligibility here.
- I am a nontraditional student who is no longer in my 20s. Is the Student vGHC Scholarship program just for students in their 20s?
AnitaB.org encourages all student types to submit a scholarship application for GHC.
- Can I check to see if my recommendation was submitted?
Yes, when you log into your application you'll have visibility to see if your Recommender submitted your recommendation. If it has not been submitted, you can send a reminder from the application system.
- I am graduating in May or will no longer be a student in September. Can I apply for a scholarship?
The AnitaB.org Scholarship program is only available for college students who will be enrolled in September.
We do have our Hoppers Program , which allows individuals to attend vGHC for free if they donate eight hours of time. Hoppers still have to pay their own travel expenses. The applications are currently closed.
- Can high school students/teachers apply for a Faculty Scholarship?
The AnitaB.org Scholarship program is only available for college students and faculty at this time
- As a scholar, do I have to purchase a vGHC 21 registration?
As a vGHC 21 scholar, you do not need to purchase a registration. AnitaB.org staff will handle your registration process and keep you informed along the way!
- Where does my registration fee go?
All registration fees help pay for the production of the events and to support the work that AnitaB.org drives throughout the entire year, including Community involvement, Policy & Engagement, our new free webinar series, our vGHC India event and countless other activations to support women in technology.
- Are there scholarships available?
Scholarships for vGHC 21 are no longer available.
- What is the refund policy?
All registration purchases are final and refunds are unavailable.
- Can I transfer my ticket if I'm not able to attend at the last minute?
Unfortunately, registrations cannot be transferred.
- If I can’t attend one of the days I purchased, can I get a refund?
Ticket refunds, exchanges or transfers are not permitted.
- Do you offer a payment plan?
Unfortunately, we do not offer a payment plan for vGHC registrations
- If I can only attend a few days, can I share my ticket with someone else?
Registrations cannot be transferred or shared with anyone other than the individual who completed the registration form.
- Is there a special rate for people who are unemployed?
There is not a specific rate for those unemployed.
- What if I don't want to be a Member, can I pay for a ticket without Membership?
Registrations for vGHC 21 cannot be altered to accommodate individual requests. We hope you'll take advantage of the Membership platform and its resources.
- How will my company benefit from sponsoring Virtual Grace Hopper Celebration?
People from anywhere in the world have the opportunity to purchase registrations to attend vGHC 21, which provides your company with an opportunity to reach an even wider audience than our in-person event.
- Can a list of vGHC 21 registrants be provided?
To respect the privacy of all vGHC 21 registrants, we do not divulge or share registration information. There will be many ways in which to network with other registrants during the event.
- How will the Sponsor Hall work at vGHC 21?
Sponsors of all levels will have booths featured in the Sponsor Hall where they can engage with vGHC attendees. Attendees can click into booth to visit. Within a booth, sponsors can play a video, moderate live conversation on camera, or display a google slides presentation. If a sponsor hosts live conversation, up to 10 people can be live on camera at once with additional attendees engaging via chat, Q&A, or through polls. Booths can also feature a call to action. Here is an article for how the booths work.
- When will I have access to the booth?
You will have the opportunity to access your booth a few weeks prior to GHC.
- When do I receive my Sponsor Hall schedule to staff my booth and interviews?
The Sponsor Hall Schedule will be posted in the sponsor portal and shared over email when the agenda is confirmed. Stay tuned!
- Do all sponsor staff need to be registered for the event?
Yes. Your designated speakers, booth moderators, session moderators, management team, and recruiters will all need to be registered. You will be able to register through the GHC Sponsor Portal when registration opens. Moderator privileges cannot be assigned until staff members are registered.
- As a sponsor, am I allowed to offer special promotions or swag to our booth attendees?
Yes, your booth can feature up to 5 links. These links can point attendees to a variety of things, including sign-ups for special offers or the opportunity to receive swag! You will also have an option to provide a promotional offer within the booth.
- How do I promote my booth at the event for attendees to attend at certain times?
In the event we have a main hall where there is a chat feature for all attendees. You’ll be able to post in the main chat when you have something exciting planned!
- How do I schedule conversations or interviews with attendees?
Attendees can sign up for 1:1 meeting timeslots with your recruiters via a link in your sponsor booth. In the sponsor portal you will submit your recruiter info for access. Ahead of the event, you will be able to assign recruiters to create their own 1:1 meeting timeslots. More info on how to set up your 1:1 meeting schedule will be posted in the GHC Sponsor Portal soon!
- What if I want to opt out of having a Booth or holding Interviews?
Please contact your main AnitaB.org Customer Success Representative and let them know you will not be participating.
- How do I know when I get Job Board and Resume Database Access?
Access to the Resume Database is determined by sponsorship level. You can find your dates for access in the GHC Prospectus here. Each sponsor will receive access codes for the Resume Database from your Customer Success Representative on the day it opens to your level. If you do not receive your access code by that date, please reach out to ResumeSupport@AnitaB.org. Job Board codes will be allocated.
- Can we use the vGHC logo on our website or SWAG items?
Any use of the logo, or co-branding with the Celebration, must be approved in advance by AnitaB.org. Please email your request to GHC@AnitaB.org.
- Can we use Grace Hopper’s image in any of my materials?
AnitaB.org does not own the rights to Grace’s likeness, and cannot share any images or designs with third parties. Your organization will need to make arrangements with the Hopper estate to receive permission. If you would like to use the Grace Hopper Celebration logo or the name of the event, please email your request to GHC@AnitaB.org.
Resume Database (Sponsors)
- Do all users from the same company need to use the same code for accessing the vGHC resume database?
Yes, any users will register with the same code sent to the company contact on file.
- How do I register for the resume database?
- How many accounts can we have to access the database?
There is no limit per company. All users from the company create their own account using the code provided.
- Will the codes be emailed to sponsors?
Yes, sponsors will receive codes based on access dates associated with sponsorship level.
- How do I redeem my job posting coupon and post the free job postings?
Redeem the coupon code.
Step 1: Login to careercenter.anitab.org
Step 2: Navigate to Employers->Product page
Step 3: Scroll down to Partner, Membership, and Event Sponsor Job Packages. Select appropriate job credits according to your vGHC Sponsorship and Click “BUY”.
Step 4: Copy and paste the coupon code, then click "Add Coupon".
Step 5: Click "Complete Order".
To post a job:
Step 1: Login to careercenter.anitab.org
Step 2: Navigate to Employers->Post a Job
Step 3:Under the Type of Job Posting, select One 90-day job posting, which is payable by credit.
Step 4: Fill out the job information and click "Continue".
Step 5: Click "Complete Order".
- Can I share the job posting coupon?
No, the job posting coupon can only redeemed by 1 person. But you could grant access to your colleagues under Employers->My Company->My Colleagues-> Add New Colleagues.
- What is the price of a single job posting?
A single post is $99 and remains active for 30 days.
- Can we use the same coupon for resume database access and job postings?
No. You will receive TWO separate emails for the coupon code. The job postings coupon will be sent from AnitaB.org Customer Success Team, and you will receive the resume database coupon on the access date.
- Is there a companion document that breaks down the steps on how to access the resume database and posting a job?
Yes, the email containing the access code also contains an employer manual and instructions.
- How long do job postings last?
For event sponsors/partners, job posts last 90 days. It is recommended to save the post as a template to make reposting jobs quick and easy.
- Do you have to be a specific user type to post jobs?
Users must register as an employer to post jobs.
- Do employers need to create multiple postings if one job is in multiple locations?
No, multiple locations can be included in one job posting.
- Do all sponsors get access to the job board posting, or is that only for certain sponsorship levels?
Yes, all sponsorship levels receive the ability to post jobs. Different level of sponsorship will have different amount of free job posting credit, i.e. Emerald sponsors have 20 free job credits, Diamond sponsors have 15 free job credits, Platinum sponsors have 10 free job credits, Gold sponsors have 5 free job credits, Bronze sponsors have 3 free job credits, and etc.
- Can employers direct candidates to apply on the company site, rather than having the resumes come to us via email?
Yes, employers can add a URL to direct job seekers to apply through the company website.
- Can I save my search filters?
Yes, once all filters are applied click "Save Search" and they will be added to the Saved Searches section.
- Can I filter candidates by region?
Yes, there are filters in place this year that allow candidates to be filtered based on location.
- Is there a filter to search by state?
Yes. Filter by state in the Resume Database (YM Career) and Candidate Profile download.
- Are filter fields in freeform text?
No, the filters built into YM are on fixed answers. The Candidate Profile Report includes all freeform fields as well.
- Can I filter candidates by government security clearance?
On the candidate profile report, scroll to right, on Column AR, it includes the government security clearance answers. We have also add the Government Security Clearance filter in the Resume Bank when you login to the YM platform.
- How can I filter candidates by their schools?
On the candidate profile report, scroll right to near the end of the file, and it shows the education status which includes the school name, degree name, degree type, completion date, GPA, Major, City, State. Degree 1 is the most current degree that the candidates obtained.
- Is the resume bank exclusive to students attending vGHC 21?
Any student can submit to the Resume Database, although we also include a filter for these attending vGHC to assist with interview scheduling.
- Can I see which resumes/profiles I’ve already viewed?
Yes. 'Bookmarked' and 'Viewed' filters show previously viewed resumes and profiles.
- Is there a way to distinguish new candidates from previously viewed candidates in the search results?
Yes. Sort by "Last Updated" and "Viewed".
- Is there a way to tell how when a candidate profile was updated?
Yes. Filter the resume bank by the last updated date and timeframes.
- Is there a filter for years of college and graduation date? For example, Ph.D. students that graduated in 2014?
Yes. Combine filters to narrow a search.
- If multiple folks from the same company are reviewing candidates from the database, would others know if they have been bookmarked/ viewed by someone else on the team?
No, unless you are sharing a login.
- How does this work for universities? We’re recruiting for our graduate programs, not offering job positions.
You can still use the resume bank to find your desired students by filtering for job seeker's preferred program' and selecting 'info on schools'.
- What is the format of the bulk resume download?
Navigate to Employers-> Resume Bank. If you would like to download the available resumes, you could click “Download Available Resumes” button on the Resume Bank page. Then click “Submit” and it will generate a request to the server. Once it is ready, you will receive an email from us within 1 hours. If not, please check your spam or junk folder. You could also navigate to the Employers-> My account page, the file should be under “Resume Downloads” section, and it will expire 30 days from request. In one day, you will only be able to summit the same request twice. Please note: If you don’t have any search criteria, then it will download all the resumes for vGHC database. If you did have the search criteria, then it will download the job seekers who matched the criteria within the vGHC database.
- How frequently will Resume Downloads be available?
During low activity time periods, resumes will be available to bulk download on a monthly basis. Once vGHC activity picks up in pace, resumes can be downloaded in bulk on a weekly basis, i.e. starting in July.
- How are the candidates/resumes sorted?
By Last Name, First Name, Candidate ID.
- Where are these resumes being pulled from?
The resume and profile zips on the portals site is directly pulled from the YM platform.
- Can you filter by industry when downloading resumes?
The bulk resume download is only filtered by time period (month or week).
- For the candidate download (Excel), how will we know who are the new candidates?
There is a 'joined' date and a 'last login date' that can be used as filters.
- When a candidate updates their profile, does that include an updated resume?
A candidate can update their profile without updating their resume if there are no changes to submit. If either are updated, the candidates profile would fall under the "recently updated" filter.
- Is the email available on all the resumes?
Yes, this is a required field for candidates.
- Is the email a clickable link that will take you out to your email browser, i.e. Outlook?
The file is a CSV and by default contains no hyperlinks. Like other fields in Excel, if you click into the email field, and then click out then it typically becomes clickable.
- What is the difference between the number of counts shown on the report report vs. the total numbers on the resume bank?
The Candidate Profile Reports count is the current candidates who have selected participation in the vGHC 2021 Resume database since June 2021. The 30k+ is the total cumulative resumes in the platform since initial launch, we do not purge any resumes.
- If I'm experiencing technical difficulties, who should we contact for support?
You can e-mail ResumeSupport@AnitaB.organd we strive to send a response within 24 business hours.
- Can anyone within our organization contact you if they are experiencing issues?
Yes, anyone can contact the support e-mail address without restriction.
- Is it possible to filter candidates by US citizenship?
Yes, however you will need to download the latest Candidate Profile CSV report to use this filter.
- What are the "Mandatory" search filters?
Braid Attendee, Community Attendee, Virtual GHC Resume Database 2021 Attendee, Contact Preference, Attending Events, Membership, Job Seeker's Preferred Program, Do you have the legal right to work in the United States? (L-1, H1B, EAD, Green Card, U.S. Citizen, etc.), Years of Experience, Industry Experience, Government Security Clearance, Preferred United States Location, Attending Braid Institution, Education Status, Currently a Student, Graduation Year, GPA, State / Province, Country
- When we post, does it direct back to our job site or does it collect within the database?
There are three options which they can choose all three or either:
- Put the company url so that jobseekers can apply on their company website
- Configure email to get all applications
- Use the job board to collect applications in YM which can be viewed under the candidate
Resume Database (Job Seekers)
- Where should I submit my resume for Virtual GHC Resume Database 2021?
Attendees should submit their resume to the Virtual GHC Resume Database 2021. Make sure to create a job seeker account on the AnitaB.org Career Center and then register for the Virtual GHC Resume Database 2021 . Once you have registered for the Virtual GHC Resume Database 2021, go to “My Resumes” to upload your latest resume. You are also able to look for posted jobs under the Job Search or on the homepage.
- I already submitted by resume to the Virtual GHC Resume Database in August last year. Do I need to submit again?
Yes, if you already have an account, please go ahead and register again for the Virtual GHC Resume Database 2021 to make sure employers can see your profile.
- What steps should I take ahead of the event to ensure the best recruiter/interview experience?
Step 1: Submit your resume to the Virtual GHC Resume Database 2021.
To add your resume, make sure to create a jobseeker account on the AnitaB.org Career Center and then register for the Virtual GHC Resume Database 2021. After you have registered for the Virtual GHC Resume Database 2021, go to “My Resumes” to upload your latest resume. You are also able to look for posted jobs under the Job Search or on the homepage.
Step 2: Check out the job seeker resources available on the website.
- Can I change my resume once submitted?
Yes. Log into your “My Resumes” section in the GHC Resume Database and submit the updated resume. Please keep in mind, if a recruiter has already downloaded your resume, they will not be alerted that there has been a change.
- How do I apply to jobs?
Sponsors may include a company URL on their Sponsor Page that will direct attendees to their company website job board. If a Sponsor does not include this information on their Sponsor Page, visit their company website to learn more. Additionally, there is a job board within the Virtual GHC Resume Database 2021 where many sponsors are posting available positions.
- What’s the difference between Public vs. Private?
If you click "Job Seekers"-> "Manage Resumes", there will be 3 sections. When you first upload your resume, the system will ask you if you want to be searched publicly. If you don't want your resume to be searched publicly, then you could put your resume under the private section. The private resumes are available for you to use in applying for positions, but are not searchable by employers.
- Will recruiters pre-schedule interviews with candidates ahead of the event?
Recruiters may access attendee resumes through the Virtual GHC Resume Database 2021 ahead of the event. If Sponsors/Recruiters would like to pre-schedule interviews prior to the event, they will reach out to the attendee/candidate by the email indicated on the candidate’s resume.
- How can I keep in contact with Sponsors/Recruiters post vGHC 21?
If you receive an opportunity for a 1:1 meeting with a company during the event, be sure to ask the recruiter for next steps and methods to follow-up. If you did not participate in any 1:1 meetings during the event, write down the company URL from the Sponsor Page and follow the next steps indicated on their company website.
- What is the difference between Membership vs Guest Login?
If you are an AnitaB.org Premium Member, you will receive priority and be able to see all the jobs posted by companies on the GHC Resume Database 2021 for the first 3 days. After that, the jobs will be available to all users.
- Can I still create a login if I do not have a membership account?
Yes, you can still create a login at the GHC Resume Database using the Community and Guest Login.
- Can I change my email address after I create a login?
Yes. Log into the website. Then scroll down to My account-> Settings. Click the down arrow under the view. There, you will see your name, email address, and email setting preferences, where updates can be made.
- How do I register for the resume database via member login after I have purchased my vGHC 21 registration, which includes a 1-year AnitaB.org Premium Membership?
While your Premium Membership won't be activated until September, you can get your Membership started today by creating a free Member account here. After you have created a free Member account, you will be able to use the Member login on the Career Center site to upload your resume information.
Once your Premium Membership has been activated you will receive your welcome email with login information. If you have further questions regarding the GHC Resume Database, please contact ResumeSupport@AnitaB.org.